Voter Registration List Requests
Click here to
Iowa law allows for the purchase of voter registration lists (See Iowa Code section 48A.38.) Requests can be made with the Secretary of State's Office or with a county auditor. Statewide and congressional district lists must be obtained from the Secretary of State's Office. Counties may produce lists only for districts of which their county is a part.
Information from voter registration records can be used only:
- To request a registrant's vote at an election,
- For a genuine political purpose,
- For bona fide political research, or
- For a bona fide official purpose by an elected official.
Using the information for any commercial purpose is a serious misdemeanor under Iowa law.
Types of Lists
Different types of lists are available from the Secretary of State's Office.
- Choose one option from each column in the table below when requesting your list.
|1) Jurisdiction||2) List Type/Vote History||3) Party||4) Voter Status||5) List Format|
||Last 5 Elections
of Every Type
Sent via Email
|Specify Elections||Democrat||Active, Inactive,
*No Vote History
Or State House
Per Iowa law, Social Security numbers, driver license numbers, and non-operator ID numbers are not included on any list.
Lists will not include inactive and pending voters unless specifically requested. Definitions for inactive and pending voters are shown below:
- "Inactive records are records of registered voters to whom notices have been sent pursuant to section 48A.28, subsection 3, and who have not returned the card or otherwise responded to the notice, and those records have been designated inactive pursuant to section 48A.29. Inactive records are also records of registered voters to whom notices have been sent pursuant to section 48A.26A and who have not responded to the notice." - § 48A.37
- "Pending records are records of applicants whose applications have not been verified pursuant to section 48A.25A." - § 48A.37
Customized lists MAY NOT be available. For more information, please contact the Iowa Secretary of State's Office.
Lists are produced as soon as possible, but it can take up to 14 days to prepare a list.
*Orders received prior to a major election may be delayed while the preparations for the election are finalized.
Cost is calculated by the number of registered voters in the jurisdiction requested.
|Type of Charge||Cost|
|Minimum Data Charge
*20,000 records or less
|Additional Data Charges
*for lists with more than 20,000 records
|$0.50 per 1,000 records|
|E-mail List||same as Data Charge(s)|
|Data on CD-ROM||$2.00 + Data Charge(s)|
|Paper List||$0.10 per page + Data Charge(s)|
|Individual Voter Profile Report||$5.00|
Voter List Subscriptions
Lists with updates throughout the year may also be purchased. See the table below for pricing information.
|Type of List||Cost|
|Statewide voter list with updates||$1,500/year|
|Statewide absentee list with updates||$450/year|
|Congressional district absentee list with updates||$125/year|
|Iowa House and Senate absentee lists with updates||$50/year|
|Countywide absentee list with updates||$40/year|
- Credit Card - Visa, MasterCard are accepted
*Credit Card payments are handled over the phone.
You will be contacted when a purchase amount determined.
- Check - Made out to Iowa Secretary of State