|Paul D. Pate
Secretary of State
Des Moines, IA 50319
|OFFICE OF THE IOWA SECRETARY OF STATE|
Deputy Secretary of State for Elections
|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
January 14, 2015
SPECIAL ELECTION SET IN HD 23
SECRETARY OF STATE PATE'S OFFICE READY TO ASSIST
(DES MOINES) With the election of Mark Costello to the Iowa Senate, a new vacancy has been created in House District 23 for which a special election date has been called by Governor Terry E. Branstad to take place on Tuesday, February 10, 2015.
"I encourage the residents of Iowa House District 23 to exercise their civic right by participating in this special election. Increasing voter participation is something I am committed to and we have the tools in place to assist them. They can be found on the Secretary of State website here for voters and for candidates," said Secretary of State Pate.
The calendar for the special election is as follows:
- Monday, January 26 is the worry-free postmark deadline for mail-in voter registration forms.
- Tuesday, January 27 at 5 p.m. is the deadline for candidate filing.
- Friday, January 30 at 5 p.m. is the deadline for voter pre-registration. The Auditor's office will be open until 5p.m. for voter registration. Voters may use election day registration procedures to register to vote after the pre-registration deadline.
- Friday, February 6 at 5 p.m. is the deadline to request an absentee ballot by mail.
- Saturday, February 7 the Auditor's office will be open until 5 p.m. for in-person absentee voting.
- Monday, February 9 is the last day to vote in-person by absentee at the County Auditor's office. Absentee ballots must be postmarked by this date and received by the time the county canvass on Thursday, February 12 to be considered on time to be counted.
- Tuesday, February 10 is Election Day. Polls will be open 7 a.m. until 9 p.m.
- Thursday, February 12 is the deadline for absentee ballots to be returned. Ballots must be received by the time established for the canvass by the county boards of supervisors. Absentee ballots must also be postmarked on Monday, February 9 or earlier. A county canvass of votes must occur on this date no earlier than 1 p.m.
- Mid-to-late February a state canvass of votes must be complete.
"The staff in the Iowa Secretary of State office are ready to work with the local auditors in Mills, Montgomery and Fremont counties to ensure that the special election is run smoothly and the integrity of the process is maintained," Pate added.
House District 23 includes Fremont, Mills and Northern Montgomery Counties. A complete district map can be found here.