The filing periods for the June 2, 2020, Primary Election are:
- State and Federal Offices: February 24 – March 13, 2020 (5:00 p.m.)
- County Offices: March 2 – March 25, 2020 (5:00 p.m.)
Federal and State candidate lists will be available and updated throughout the filing period beginning February 24th, 2020.
Contact your county auditor for information on county candidates.
Ethics and Campaign Disclosure Requirements
For information about candidates' ethics and campaign filing responsibilities and deadlines, please contact the Iowa Ethics and Campaign Disclosure Board.
Federal candidates: For information about financial disclosure requirements, please contact the Federal Election Commission (1-800-424-9530).
Important Note: Candidates may begin collecting signatures at any time. However, the signers must still be eligible electors when the papers are filed in order for the signatures to count.
- U.S. Senator and Governor
- U.S. Representative - District 1
- U.S. Representative - District 2
- U.S. Representative - District 3
- U.S. Representative - District 4
- Statewide Offices: 1,000 signatures, including 50 from at least 10 different counties
- State Senate: 100 signatures from state senate district
- State Representative: 50 signatures from state representative district
- County Offices: At least 100 or 2% of the party vote in the county at last general, whichever is less.
- County Supervisor Elected by District: At least 100 or 2% of the party vote in the district at last general election, whichever is less.
Partisan Offices on the 2020 Primary Election Ballot
- U.S. Senator
- U.S. Representative (all districts)
- State Senator (even-numbered districts 2-50)
- State Representative (districts 1-100)
- Some members of county boards of supervisors
- County Auditor
- County Sheriff
- Any vacant offices needing to be filled
*Adobe Reader required to view some of the files.